Ability to post is still very sporadic for me.
Title: Masters Of Thornfield ORIGINAL WRITING
The sequel to Master Of Thornfield. (An S/X story. developed initially FROM the plot of the novel Jane Eyre) It IS necessary to have read that fic to fully enjoy/understand this one.Link to MOT HERE
Warnings: Set in 1851, HAU/Historical Romance, M/M sex, angst, humor, drama, OOC, varying chapter lengths. Vague, brief references to: het sex (Past), BDSM (mild/vague), Sub/Dom. Original characters. Established, exclusive couple.
Rating: NC17
Pairing: 100% S/X
Unbeta'd: All free range boo boos belong to me.
Status: WIP Posted Mon-Fri. Approx 152 chaps.
Comments: Comment if you want to, though it would be nice to know someone is reading it.
Disclaimer: I own nothing except the original characters and this story, everything else belongs to someone who is not me. I write for fun not profit. Respectfully, no LINKING or archiving of ANY single part/chapter of the Thornfield!verse without first talking to me,please.
Distribution My Journal, Eternal_Spander, Bloodclaim and eventually archived at Capainperoxideandthewhelp.com.
Thanks as usual to Bmblbee for pre-reading and encouragement.
Summary: Lord William Rochester has a reputation as a confident, aloof, mysterious man. He has taken as his life companion the shy, gentle, eighteen year old Tutor to his daughter, Alexander (Xander) Harris. Here they are beginning their life together and set to rule over the vast estate of Thornfield. We rejoin them at the beginning of 1851, it is to prove a year of change for Thornfield itself and for the people who inhabit the house, estate and villages beyond. Not everyone will welcome these changes.
Previous Chapters HERE
Chapter 136/140-152
Daniel shut the study door behind him. William was already lounging in his seat behind his desk, Pilot at his side having an ear scratch. A small cut glass of whisky awaited Daniel on the table and he moved to the positioned chair and sat down. “Took the liberty.......” William gave and off hand gesture.
“Thank you kindly Sir,” Daniel reached for the glass,”your good health Sir and that of Master Xander. It’s good to have you home.” He took a sip.
William nodded. “And yours and Willow.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “ I confess to being happy at our return, the trip to London was slightly more............. Tense than I would have wished or anticipated.”
Daniel looked at his Master thoughtfully, over the years he had learnt to read between the lines and note as much of what was unsaid as was said and the absence of Lord Ethan when he had been expected, set off alarm bells. “Did the young Master not care for the City then Sir?”
“He loved it,” William smiled, “once he grew used to it.” William leant forward with a sigh.”No doubt you think it strange we returned without Lord Ethan when he was expected?”
“Not my place to pry or question Sir, but I did wonder after we prepared his room an’ all.”
“The sad truth is that Lord Ethan is no longer welcome at Thornfield for the foreseeable future.” William stated quietly.
Daniel was surprised. It was obvious something was wrong but that the two men should have ceased to be on friendly terms after such a long and close friendship was hard to fathom. He answered cautiously. “I regret to hear that Sir, his Lordship and yourself have been close friends for some time.”
Abruptly William stood and turned to the window and looked out over Thornfield at dusk, his back to Daniel. Daniel didn’t take offence it was often William’s way to stand thus when something bothered him.
“Do you remember Philippe Leaveraux?” William asked.
“I do Sir, the young French gentleman you brought to Thornfield briefly some years ago. I believe he returned to his native home?” Daniel replied.
“What did you think of him?”
The question caught Daniel somewhat off guard but he trusted William not to ask the question without wanting a frank answer. “I remember he was a very striking young gentleman, rather full of himself if you don’t mind my saying Sir and somewhat manipulative, but very charming.”
William smiled and half turned. “You didn’t like him,” he stated.
“It was not my place to like or dislike him Sir.”
“Come on Dan, we are old friends you and I, be frank I shall not be offended.” William encouraged.
“In that case William, no I did not and I don’t mind telling you neither I nor Willow trusted him as far as we could throw him.”
William gave a harsh laugh. “Would that I had asked you at the time.” He sat down. “We ran into him in London.”
“I thought he went back to France?” Daniel frowned.
“He returned and was employed by Lord Ethan at The Club.” William explained.
“Ahhh,” Daniel nodded, “I think I see the way of it.”
“I will not bore you with details, but he tried to re-establish a relationship with me with Lord Ethan’s encouragement and support. It seems my old friend resented both the depth of my devotion to Xander and the way in which I was adjusting my life and thought he would set it to rights.”
Daniel gasped a little, he was am'bivalent when it came to Lord Ethan. He did not entirely agree with the way he influenced William’s life, but appreciated the two men’s friendship. He thought Ethan would know better then to interfere with the relationship between Xander and William. “I take it you did not appreciate the intervention?”
“I did not. It all got out of hand and very sordid and Xander was exposed to me behaving as I had hoped he would never witness. He caused Xander to be placed in a dangerous situation Daniel and I cannot allow, I will not allow that to happen.” There was a mixture of anger and sadness in William’s face.
Daniel set down the glass and leaned forward. “I am sincerely sorry for it William, I wish I had been on hand to help.”
William smiled. “I learnt a valuable lesson Daniel. Xander is far tougher, resilient and stubborn than I gave him credit for.” Both men smiled.
“Master Xander is a horse of a different color and no mistake Sir, Willow she said it from the day he arrived.”
“Willow is very wise.” William agreed.
“That she is and she’s right taken with the new lads, fussin’ around them like a broody hen she is.”
William nodded. “They’re good lads, “ He sighed.”For the moment I’m estranged from Lord Ethan, perhaps in a couple of years...” His voice faded. “Who knows.....?”
Daniel leaned back. “Indeed.”
“Mrs Summers has told us most of what’s been occurring whilst we were away but I bet you could tell me far more....”
Daniel laughed. “I dare say. Where would you like me to begin?”
“Start with household matters.” William encouraged.
“Well now, Miss Drusilla is right taken with young Toby,” Daniel began, “she’s spent a good bit of time at his learning and he seems to have a calming effect on her. Good as gold she’s been.”
“And Toby?” William smiled.
“Well it has to be said he don’t have a lot of say in the matter... Miss Drusilla is her father’s daughter and when she makes her mind up to a thing, it generally happens.” There was amusement in his tone.
“Am I really that stubborn?” William chuckled.
“You can be a mite single minded.” Daniel spoke tactfully. “But young Toby no longer has a perpetually surprised look, he’s more confident about coming in the house. But he don’t go where he’s not told mind and he’s very well mannered.”
“Stan and Mable are doing a good job with him.” William stated.
“That they are Sir.”
“What of Miss Mclay and Mr Finn?” William queried.
Daniel gave a wry smile.”Well let’s just say Willow’s already got her eye on a new bonnet for the wedding, “ both men chuckled,”Riley’s a good sort and they’re well suited.” He continued. “And he’s setting Millbrook to rights. Bought twenty head of beef cattle and five in calf cows and six heifers at Millcote market at knock down prices, he’s got chickens, ducks and two porkers and one breeding sow. He’s put a boot behind them two layabouts as work there and he’s on the lookout for a couple of good plough horses and a cob for light work and riding.”
“Excellent,” William nodded, “I thought he’d make a go of it. And what of Mr Gunn has he settled in as well as Mrs Summers indicated?”
“That he has.” Daniel confirmed. “Charlie’s an amiable sort, gets on with near everyone and him and David work well together.” He paused,”There was only one minor incident in Millcote last Thursday week.”
William leant forward with a frown.”What happened?”
“The Missus sent me an’ Charlie into Millcote to pick up some heavy supplies. Flour, potatoes and the like. We called in the Dog and Duck for a pint prior to coming back like and Warren Mears was there.” William frowned. “He made a remark that Charlie had taken a job a white man might have had... Nothing came of it. Charlie didn’t react and there were plenty there as shouted him down. Most folks know Charlie and he’s well liked, Mears was just mouthing off.”
“Mears is a mean spirited man, but he is a good farmer.” William said reluctantly.”It has crossed my mind to terminate his tenancy more than once but I am loathe to do so on the grounds that I do not share his opinions.”
“Few do.” Daniel interjected.
“Nevertheless, my personal dislike for the man is no grounds for turning him out of his home. However, if he continues to shout off his mouth and make trouble I will not hesitate to do so.” William stated firmly.
“There are few would blame you and that’s a fact. But Charlie’s doing alright and me and David we helped him hang a permanent punch bag in the barn, we thought it better there than the stable........... Master Xander,” he tapped the side of his nose.
“Oh Lord yes, the less Xander knows the better.” William chuckled.
“Mr Winchester said he’d be glad to train him and put him through his paces.” Daniel nodded.
“Good I shall contact him when Xander’s occupied, what the eye doesn’t see........”
“The heart don’t grieve over,” Daniel completed.
William grunted. “Let us talk of other things. How are you,Willow and the baby?”
“I’m well Sir and Doctor Walsh he calls every Friday and he says that Willow and the babe are doing right well.” He grinned. “We was a bit worried ‘cause she had no sickness like, but neither did her mother an’ she had four healthy babies. Doctor Walsh he said it’s one of them things and no cause for worry. Apart from swollen ankles and a bit o’ backache, she’s better in health than temper.”
William laughed. “Bending your ear is she?”
“When she calls me Daniel Ozbourne I gets out of the road as quick as I can and no mistake.”
“Xander invokes the dreaded middle name.” They looked at one another and then chuckled.”Got to love them.”
“Aye right enough.” Daniel agreed.
“You know what I am going to say Dan,” William looked at him, “I want Willow to stop working as soon as possible.”
“She’s not going to like it.” Daniel frowned.
“Nevertheless it is most prudent. I have told Mrs Summers to employ Rosie, Peter and Thelma Meakin on a full time, live-in basis from Monday.”
“Have we need of Peter what with Jack....?” Dan queried.
“Jack wants to be a coachman not a manservant and although while he’s learning he will help in the house, I am anxious he ultimately fills that role. “ William studied his friend. “You need help Dan.” Daniel opened his mouth in protest. “What with Xander and I in residency, Drusilla getting older and you about to be a father.....” William quickly added. Daniel huffed a little. “You will have charge of both Jack and Peter, just as Willow will have charge of Thelma and Rosie but in her case she will supervise rather than participate. I have decided Dan....” He added firmly. “And Mrs Summers will continue her role as she has always done.”
Daniel realized the sense of it and the truth was he would welcome some help. “I expect you’re right Sir, but what about after the baby? Willow will want her kitchen back.” Dan warned.
“Well then we shall talk about it, but she might find looking after an infant occupies her more than enough.”
“Perhaps but ....” Daniel shook his head, “she’s not going to like it.”
“And that is why I will tell her.” William volunteered. “No doubt she will glare, huff and puff for a while and I see no reason why you or Mrs Summer should bear the brunt. I on the other hand can escape and as a friend of Lady Darla I am quite used to such treatment.”
“You’re a brave man Sir, I takes me hat off to you.” Daniel chuckled and William joined in.
“I understand Mrs Summers has kept a quantity of Drusilla’s baby garments. They will be too big for a new born but Willow is welcome to them if she wishes and her crib.” William offered.
“Thank you kindly Sir, I know she’d like that. As for a crib Riley has taken it upon himself to make us one.”
“Well that is good news but it is there if you want it.” Daniel nodded.”Is there any other news I should know?”
Daniel grew serious. “It being fine weather the surveyors for the railway was about last week and they were seen.”
“Ahhh,” William nodded.
“There were already rumors in Millcote, now people is talking openly about a railway crossing Thornfield land.”
“I had hoped it might remain undiscovered for a while yet,” William shrugged, “it is not a catastrophe they have to be informed sooner or later.”
“Aye Sir and when they know the full disclosure, I fear it’ll split the village and set folks at odds with Thornfield.”
Title: Masters Of Thornfield ORIGINAL WRITING
The sequel to Master Of Thornfield. (An S/X story. developed initially FROM the plot of the novel Jane Eyre) It IS necessary to have read that fic to fully enjoy/understand this one.Link to MOT HERE
Warnings: Set in 1851, HAU/Historical Romance, M/M sex, angst, humor, drama, OOC, varying chapter lengths. Vague, brief references to: het sex (Past), BDSM (mild/vague), Sub/Dom. Original characters. Established, exclusive couple.
Rating: NC17
Pairing: 100% S/X
Unbeta'd: All free range boo boos belong to me.
Status: WIP Posted Mon-Fri. Approx 152 chaps.
Comments: Comment if you want to, though it would be nice to know someone is reading it.
Disclaimer: I own nothing except the original characters and this story, everything else belongs to someone who is not me. I write for fun not profit. Respectfully, no LINKING or archiving of ANY single part/chapter of the Thornfield!verse without first talking to me,please.
Distribution My Journal, Eternal_Spander, Bloodclaim and eventually archived at Capainperoxideandthewhelp.com.
Thanks as usual to Bmblbee for pre-reading and encouragement.
Summary: Lord William Rochester has a reputation as a confident, aloof, mysterious man. He has taken as his life companion the shy, gentle, eighteen year old Tutor to his daughter, Alexander (Xander) Harris. Here they are beginning their life together and set to rule over the vast estate of Thornfield. We rejoin them at the beginning of 1851, it is to prove a year of change for Thornfield itself and for the people who inhabit the house, estate and villages beyond. Not everyone will welcome these changes.
Previous Chapters HERE
Chapter 136/140-152
Daniel shut the study door behind him. William was already lounging in his seat behind his desk, Pilot at his side having an ear scratch. A small cut glass of whisky awaited Daniel on the table and he moved to the positioned chair and sat down. “Took the liberty.......” William gave and off hand gesture.
“Thank you kindly Sir,” Daniel reached for the glass,”your good health Sir and that of Master Xander. It’s good to have you home.” He took a sip.
William nodded. “And yours and Willow.” He ran his fingers through his hair. “ I confess to being happy at our return, the trip to London was slightly more............. Tense than I would have wished or anticipated.”
Daniel looked at his Master thoughtfully, over the years he had learnt to read between the lines and note as much of what was unsaid as was said and the absence of Lord Ethan when he had been expected, set off alarm bells. “Did the young Master not care for the City then Sir?”
“He loved it,” William smiled, “once he grew used to it.” William leant forward with a sigh.”No doubt you think it strange we returned without Lord Ethan when he was expected?”
“Not my place to pry or question Sir, but I did wonder after we prepared his room an’ all.”
“The sad truth is that Lord Ethan is no longer welcome at Thornfield for the foreseeable future.” William stated quietly.
Daniel was surprised. It was obvious something was wrong but that the two men should have ceased to be on friendly terms after such a long and close friendship was hard to fathom. He answered cautiously. “I regret to hear that Sir, his Lordship and yourself have been close friends for some time.”
Abruptly William stood and turned to the window and looked out over Thornfield at dusk, his back to Daniel. Daniel didn’t take offence it was often William’s way to stand thus when something bothered him.
“Do you remember Philippe Leaveraux?” William asked.
“I do Sir, the young French gentleman you brought to Thornfield briefly some years ago. I believe he returned to his native home?” Daniel replied.
“What did you think of him?”
The question caught Daniel somewhat off guard but he trusted William not to ask the question without wanting a frank answer. “I remember he was a very striking young gentleman, rather full of himself if you don’t mind my saying Sir and somewhat manipulative, but very charming.”
William smiled and half turned. “You didn’t like him,” he stated.
“It was not my place to like or dislike him Sir.”
“Come on Dan, we are old friends you and I, be frank I shall not be offended.” William encouraged.
“In that case William, no I did not and I don’t mind telling you neither I nor Willow trusted him as far as we could throw him.”
William gave a harsh laugh. “Would that I had asked you at the time.” He sat down. “We ran into him in London.”
“I thought he went back to France?” Daniel frowned.
“He returned and was employed by Lord Ethan at The Club.” William explained.
“Ahhh,” Daniel nodded, “I think I see the way of it.”
“I will not bore you with details, but he tried to re-establish a relationship with me with Lord Ethan’s encouragement and support. It seems my old friend resented both the depth of my devotion to Xander and the way in which I was adjusting my life and thought he would set it to rights.”
Daniel gasped a little, he was am'bivalent when it came to Lord Ethan. He did not entirely agree with the way he influenced William’s life, but appreciated the two men’s friendship. He thought Ethan would know better then to interfere with the relationship between Xander and William. “I take it you did not appreciate the intervention?”
“I did not. It all got out of hand and very sordid and Xander was exposed to me behaving as I had hoped he would never witness. He caused Xander to be placed in a dangerous situation Daniel and I cannot allow, I will not allow that to happen.” There was a mixture of anger and sadness in William’s face.
Daniel set down the glass and leaned forward. “I am sincerely sorry for it William, I wish I had been on hand to help.”
William smiled. “I learnt a valuable lesson Daniel. Xander is far tougher, resilient and stubborn than I gave him credit for.” Both men smiled.
“Master Xander is a horse of a different color and no mistake Sir, Willow she said it from the day he arrived.”
“Willow is very wise.” William agreed.
“That she is and she’s right taken with the new lads, fussin’ around them like a broody hen she is.”
William nodded. “They’re good lads, “ He sighed.”For the moment I’m estranged from Lord Ethan, perhaps in a couple of years...” His voice faded. “Who knows.....?”
Daniel leaned back. “Indeed.”
“Mrs Summers has told us most of what’s been occurring whilst we were away but I bet you could tell me far more....”
Daniel laughed. “I dare say. Where would you like me to begin?”
“Start with household matters.” William encouraged.
“Well now, Miss Drusilla is right taken with young Toby,” Daniel began, “she’s spent a good bit of time at his learning and he seems to have a calming effect on her. Good as gold she’s been.”
“And Toby?” William smiled.
“Well it has to be said he don’t have a lot of say in the matter... Miss Drusilla is her father’s daughter and when she makes her mind up to a thing, it generally happens.” There was amusement in his tone.
“Am I really that stubborn?” William chuckled.
“You can be a mite single minded.” Daniel spoke tactfully. “But young Toby no longer has a perpetually surprised look, he’s more confident about coming in the house. But he don’t go where he’s not told mind and he’s very well mannered.”
“Stan and Mable are doing a good job with him.” William stated.
“That they are Sir.”
“What of Miss Mclay and Mr Finn?” William queried.
Daniel gave a wry smile.”Well let’s just say Willow’s already got her eye on a new bonnet for the wedding, “ both men chuckled,”Riley’s a good sort and they’re well suited.” He continued. “And he’s setting Millbrook to rights. Bought twenty head of beef cattle and five in calf cows and six heifers at Millcote market at knock down prices, he’s got chickens, ducks and two porkers and one breeding sow. He’s put a boot behind them two layabouts as work there and he’s on the lookout for a couple of good plough horses and a cob for light work and riding.”
“Excellent,” William nodded, “I thought he’d make a go of it. And what of Mr Gunn has he settled in as well as Mrs Summers indicated?”
“That he has.” Daniel confirmed. “Charlie’s an amiable sort, gets on with near everyone and him and David work well together.” He paused,”There was only one minor incident in Millcote last Thursday week.”
William leant forward with a frown.”What happened?”
“The Missus sent me an’ Charlie into Millcote to pick up some heavy supplies. Flour, potatoes and the like. We called in the Dog and Duck for a pint prior to coming back like and Warren Mears was there.” William frowned. “He made a remark that Charlie had taken a job a white man might have had... Nothing came of it. Charlie didn’t react and there were plenty there as shouted him down. Most folks know Charlie and he’s well liked, Mears was just mouthing off.”
“Mears is a mean spirited man, but he is a good farmer.” William said reluctantly.”It has crossed my mind to terminate his tenancy more than once but I am loathe to do so on the grounds that I do not share his opinions.”
“Few do.” Daniel interjected.
“Nevertheless, my personal dislike for the man is no grounds for turning him out of his home. However, if he continues to shout off his mouth and make trouble I will not hesitate to do so.” William stated firmly.
“There are few would blame you and that’s a fact. But Charlie’s doing alright and me and David we helped him hang a permanent punch bag in the barn, we thought it better there than the stable........... Master Xander,” he tapped the side of his nose.
“Oh Lord yes, the less Xander knows the better.” William chuckled.
“Mr Winchester said he’d be glad to train him and put him through his paces.” Daniel nodded.
“Good I shall contact him when Xander’s occupied, what the eye doesn’t see........”
“The heart don’t grieve over,” Daniel completed.
William grunted. “Let us talk of other things. How are you,Willow and the baby?”
“I’m well Sir and Doctor Walsh he calls every Friday and he says that Willow and the babe are doing right well.” He grinned. “We was a bit worried ‘cause she had no sickness like, but neither did her mother an’ she had four healthy babies. Doctor Walsh he said it’s one of them things and no cause for worry. Apart from swollen ankles and a bit o’ backache, she’s better in health than temper.”
William laughed. “Bending your ear is she?”
“When she calls me Daniel Ozbourne I gets out of the road as quick as I can and no mistake.”
“Xander invokes the dreaded middle name.” They looked at one another and then chuckled.”Got to love them.”
“Aye right enough.” Daniel agreed.
“You know what I am going to say Dan,” William looked at him, “I want Willow to stop working as soon as possible.”
“She’s not going to like it.” Daniel frowned.
“Nevertheless it is most prudent. I have told Mrs Summers to employ Rosie, Peter and Thelma Meakin on a full time, live-in basis from Monday.”
“Have we need of Peter what with Jack....?” Dan queried.
“Jack wants to be a coachman not a manservant and although while he’s learning he will help in the house, I am anxious he ultimately fills that role. “ William studied his friend. “You need help Dan.” Daniel opened his mouth in protest. “What with Xander and I in residency, Drusilla getting older and you about to be a father.....” William quickly added. Daniel huffed a little. “You will have charge of both Jack and Peter, just as Willow will have charge of Thelma and Rosie but in her case she will supervise rather than participate. I have decided Dan....” He added firmly. “And Mrs Summers will continue her role as she has always done.”
Daniel realized the sense of it and the truth was he would welcome some help. “I expect you’re right Sir, but what about after the baby? Willow will want her kitchen back.” Dan warned.
“Well then we shall talk about it, but she might find looking after an infant occupies her more than enough.”
“Perhaps but ....” Daniel shook his head, “she’s not going to like it.”
“And that is why I will tell her.” William volunteered. “No doubt she will glare, huff and puff for a while and I see no reason why you or Mrs Summer should bear the brunt. I on the other hand can escape and as a friend of Lady Darla I am quite used to such treatment.”
“You’re a brave man Sir, I takes me hat off to you.” Daniel chuckled and William joined in.
“I understand Mrs Summers has kept a quantity of Drusilla’s baby garments. They will be too big for a new born but Willow is welcome to them if she wishes and her crib.” William offered.
“Thank you kindly Sir, I know she’d like that. As for a crib Riley has taken it upon himself to make us one.”
“Well that is good news but it is there if you want it.” Daniel nodded.”Is there any other news I should know?”
Daniel grew serious. “It being fine weather the surveyors for the railway was about last week and they were seen.”
“Ahhh,” William nodded.
“There were already rumors in Millcote, now people is talking openly about a railway crossing Thornfield land.”
“I had hoped it might remain undiscovered for a while yet,” William shrugged, “it is not a catastrophe they have to be informed sooner or later.”
“Aye Sir and when they know the full disclosure, I fear it’ll split the village and set folks at odds with Thornfield.”
no subject
Date: 2011-12-07 05:16 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2011-12-08 08:18 pm (UTC)It will definitely NOT be a WIP and as such not be posted before the middle of 2012.
no subject
Date: 2011-12-08 08:24 pm (UTC)I'd love to see how Ethan/William/Xander interact after all that time.
I'm trying to prepare myself for losing characters (Though I know I'll cry lol)
Yay for no WIP. WIP are evil!
no subject
Date: 2011-12-08 08:44 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2011-12-07 05:44 pm (UTC)Wonderful chapter - William is truly lucky to have such loyal friends (and employees) to confide in and rely upon.
L
J
no subject
Date: 2011-12-08 08:21 pm (UTC)William is a tough but fair man, he engenders love and loyalty in those who know him well. *Hugs*
no subject
Date: 2011-12-07 07:59 pm (UTC)Thank you! You did a great and wonderful job with all your fics. The Thornfield fic is, and I guess will be, forever one of my absolute favorite stories.
no subject
Date: 2011-12-08 08:27 pm (UTC)Thornfield and Eagle of the Ninth are my very favorite stories.
no subject
Date: 2011-12-07 11:59 pm (UTC)no subject
Date: 2011-12-08 08:28 pm (UTC)